The first church in Temple Road started in 1878 as a Congregational church. The present building began life in 1929 when the original church became too small. Many of its first members had moved to Oxford to take up jobs in the nearby Morris Motors plant. It became a United Reformed Church when the Congregational and Presbyterian churches merged in 1972. In recent years its congregation had been declining and it closed in November 2017.
The Littlegate Trust, purchased the building in 2018 and offered it to St Ebbe’s Church in order that a new congregation might be started in Cowley. Around 60 adults and 20 children from across the St Ebbe’s congregations in the city centre and at Headington signed up to begin a new church family – Grace Church Cowley – in September 2019.